Updated:
Invite Friends

 
Independence Day
GlobalMarathi
Saturday, August 14, 2010 AT 01:46 PM (IST)
India's Independence Day is celebrated on 15 August to commemorate its independence from British rule and its birth as a sovereign nation on that day in 1947.

Road to independence

On 3 June 1947, Viscount Lord Mountbatten of Burma, the last British Governor-General of India, announced the partitioning of the British Indian Empire into India and Pakistan, under the provisions of the Indian Independence Act 1947. At the stroke of midnight, on 14 August 1947, India became an independent nation. This was preceded by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru's famous speech titled Tryst with Destiny.

“At the stroke of the midnight hour, when the world sleeps, India will awake to life and freedom. A moment comes, which comes but rarely in history, when we step out from the old to the new, when an age ends, and when the soul of a nation, long suppressed, finds utterance..... We end today a period of ill fortune, and India discovers herself again.     ”

Celebrations

The main event takes place in New Delhi, where the Prime Minister hoists the National Flag at the Red Fort and delivers a nationally televised speech from its ramparts. In his speech, he highlights the achievements of his government during the past year, raises important issues and gives a call for further development. The Prime Minister also pays his tribute to leaders of the freedom struggle.

Government Offices are lit up. Flag hoisting ceremonies and cultural programs take place in all the state capitals. In the cities around the country the national flag is hoisted by politicians in their constituencies. In various private organisations the flag hoisting is carried out by a senior official of that organisation.

All over the country, flags are given out to citizens who wear them proudly to show their patriotism towards India. Schools and colleges around the country organise flag hoisting ceremonies and various cultural events within their premises, where younger children in costume do impersonations of their favourite characters of the Independence era. They also have a parade.

Families and friends get together for lunch or dinner, or for an outing. Housing colonies, cultural centres, clubs and societies hold entertainment programs and competitions, usually based on the Independence Day theme. Most national and regional television channels screen old and new film classics with patriotic themes on Independence Day.


प्रतिक्रिया
 
On 15/01/2014 04:18 PM Mukund Shetye said:
मराठी मध्ये पाहिजे होत

 
On 02/09/2013 09:32 AM MS said:
मराठी मध्ये पाहिजे होत

 
On 23/08/2013 04:59 PM sanket sawant said:
माझा महारष्ट्र

 
On 15-08-2013 05:27 AM akshay kate said:
मराठी मध्ये पाहिजे होत

 
On 14/08/2013 06:44 PM ganesh said:
मराठीत देता येत नाय का , का लाज वाटते ?

 
On 13/08/2013 10:22 PM said:
मराठी मध्ये स्पीच हव i

 
On 14/08/2013 06:04 PM vinod said:
१५ August

 
On 11-08-2013 08:27 PM said:
मराठी मध्ये पाहिजे स्पीच

 
On 13/08/2013 11:06 AM anil nagapure said:
xccdv

 
On 14/08/2013 06:21 AM Abhishek Durge said:
I want this speech in marathi language.

 
On 11/08/2013 04:26 PM umesh.sradha said:
ami मराठी अमल मराठी pahije jai maharastra

 
On 10/08/2013 05:28 PM garaju said:
मूर्ख , मराठी पाहिजे होते ! हे काय ?

 
On 10/08/2013 05:12 PM said:
India's Independence Day is celebrated on 15 August to commemorate its independence from British rule and its birth as a sovereign nation on that day in 1947. Road to independence On 3 June 1947, Viscount Lord Mountbatten of Burma, the last British Governor-General of India, announced the partitioning of the British Indian Empire into India and Pakistan, under the provisions of the Indian Independence Act 1947. At the stroke of midnight, on 14 August 1947, India became an independent nation.

 
On 05/08/2013 05:10 PM said:
वंत इन मराठी

 
On 29/07/2013 08:18 PM said:
आम्हाला मराठी मध्ये पाहिजे होतं इंग्रेजी मध्ये नाही काही पान निस्ता टाकतात hahaha

 
On 06/08/2013 11:41 AM abhil sarakar said:
यांच्या मायला हे लोक फक्त इंटरनेट वर इतरांना फसवतात...............

 
On 19/07/2013 05:34 PM roli said:
इ वंत स्पीच ओं इंदेपेन्देन्चे दय इन मराठी फोर kids

 
On 19/07/2013 05:34 PM roli said:
इ वंत स्पीच ओं इंदेपेन्देन्चे दय इन मराठी फोर kids

 
On 25/02/2013 11:49 AM said:
All over the country, flags are given out to citizens who wear them proudly to show their patriotism towards India. Schools and colleges around the country organise flag hoisting ceremonies and various cultural events within their premises, where younger children in costume do impersonations of their favourite characters of the Independence era. They also have a parade. Families and friends get together for lunch or dinner, or for an outing. Housing colonies, cultural centres, clubs and societ

 
On 25/02/2013 11:33 AM said:
मराठी भाषणे

 
On 13/08/2012 03:29 PM akanksha wadile said:
on 15 august india attaines freedom from the british rule .

 
On 12/08/2012 10:57 AM said:
India's Independence Day is celebrated on 15 August to commemorate its independence from British rule and its birth as a sovereign nation on that day in 1947.

 
On 11/08/2012 08:24 PM somnath gite said:
nice

 
On 08/08/2012 04:04 PM said:
On 15 August 1947, India attained freedom from the British Rule. Every year, August 15 is celebrated as the Independence Day in India. This national festival is celebrated with great enthusiasm all over the country. The Independence Day of any country is a moment of pride and glory. On this special occasion, rich tributes are paid to the freedom fighters who sacrificed their lives and fought to free their motherland from the clutches of the oppressors - British who ruled the country. The Briti